Saturday, October 28, 2006

Down on the Farm




Our church has an annual Fall Harvest event at one of our members' farm. Our kids love the time on the farm and look forward to it each year. When Michael and I realized that he was going to be at the state volleyball tourn., we were both a little nervous about me taking the kids by myself. It is a large farm with lots of places to roam and play. I decided that I thought I would give it a try and make it an adventure. I gave them the speech the whole way there...stay together, watch out for Bryce, when I call - you better come quickly, tell me where you are going at all times, no whining when I tell you it is time to leave, etc. They actually did awesome and remembered to keep checking in with me. I wasn't able to get any pictures of Bryant because he spent most of his time up in the barn loft on the swing...I had no desire to climb up there in front of everyone just for a picture! Kenz enjoyed the cats the most and Bryce didn't want to get off of the hayride. Madyson, of course, was happy to just watch all of the commotion. Everything was going almost too smooth until we were all in the van ready to leave. After all four were buckled in their car seats, I heard, "I have to go potty REALLY bad!" So, we unbuckled, got out and walked with frustration for what seemed to be eternity to the biffy. After getting back in the van, all buckled again, I smelled a yucky diaper... on Bryce's way to get his diaper changed, he dumped over a bag of Kettle Korn in the van -- by this time, the tension level in the van was at an all time high :) By the time we finally got on the road, Madyson was fit to be tied and cried the entire 30 minutes home. Despite the yucky ending, we had a lot of fun and will look forward to going again (with daddy) next year.

10 comments:

2Icecubed said...

Looks like great fun! What an adorable family you have!! You were very brave going by yourself, but it sounds like most of it went very well. So you are a country bumpkin at heart, right?

Jill said...

I love your hair Danielle! I haven't seen you lately - it's very cute! That part you wrote about the end of the day is just how it goes, isn't it? Just when you think everything is under control, someone has to go to the bathroom, and then it just gets worse after that!

SturgillMom said...

Oh, my word, Jill...so many times I feel like one of those "Wal-mart moms" that you see with crazy out of control kids. I hate that! Sometimes I wonder why I ever try to leave the house. While Michael was gone, I took the kids to Blockbuster to pick out a video for a movie and popcorn night. Well, you can about imagine the scene that we made trying to pick out a video!!!!! I kept looking around hoping that I didn't recognize anyone.

Sarah said...

Danielle, I think we are related somehow. Your family outings sound exactly like ours. :-)
By the way, don't tell Mackenzie that Elise's daddy will be down in Kansas City next week. He was trying to figure out how to take Elise down and surprise her, but I don't think there is any way. And I have to work all week, so I can't come. :-( Can you imagine how excited they would be?!

SturgillMom said...

Hey, what is Josh coming for and does he need a place to stay? If it works out, we would LOVE for Elise to come...and she could stay with us all week, too! That would be SO much fun :)

Anonymous said...

Danielle,
1. (nodding in agreement with Jill) I LOVE YOUR HAIR!!!
2. Tell Michael I'm sorry that our girls had to win the tournement. (not really, but had to get that in there)
3. I think it's weird how many Woodcrestians are in this middle section of the U.S.
4. You did a good job with the kids, but I would have liked to heard a Danielle story about climbing up in a barn in what looks like white pants...crack me up, woman.
5. The Jacksons have it right....built-in DVD player in the Honda Odyssey. I'm telling you...driving with 4 crazy girls...never easier.

SturgillMom said...

G-knee! Do you really think that I am that idiotic to wear WHITE pants EVER...let alone to a farm. If I was skinny-minny like Sarah, then maybe white would be an option! :) They were khaki, but they were pretty dirty by the time that I got home! And yes, a DVD player in the van is an awesome thing, but our crazy times are not always when we are in the van :)

Sarah said...

Danielle, wearing white pants to a farm is not a smart choice for ANY sized person. :-) I do not own a pair of white pants because they would be grey in a matter of minutes.
I guess Josh has to do a 2 day recruiting job on his way down there, so he would not be able to bring Elise. It is too bad b/c she would die! :-) If I wasn't working, I could have figured out a way to come along.

SturgillMom said...

Oh well, Sarah, it would have been fun! Maybe next time :) I am not going to tell Mackenzie! Hopefully we'll be able to get together when we are in WI for Christmas

Holly said...

I found your blog through Jeannie's blog. It's fun to see how everyone's families are doing. Your kids are so cute. Mackenzie looks so much like YOU! Visit our blog at sundsmosnippets.blogspot.com. Have a great weekend!