Tuesday, March 11, 2008
"Judy Dudy"
OKAY...get ready because you are going to feel the steam coming from your computer as you read this :) I am NOT happy with our wonderful judicial system here in Missouri. Some of you have had the wonderful blessing of having me call you and complain about this already, so you can go ahead and stop reading at this point :) For those of you who didn't get that precious phone call (if you feel like hearing a complaint) go ahead and keep reading. Back in the fall, I received a jury summons. Now, let me say at this point, that I would LOVE to be on a jury some day.....just not this "day." When I got my first summons, I was close to delivering Makayla and my OB wrote a note to excuse me because of the soon delivery. They replied back and said that I was postponed until March. I explained that I would be nursing a baby full-time at that point. The lady (very rudely) said, "Have you ever heard of pumping, Mam?!" I said, "Yes, but it never works for me and my babies never seem to take bottles." I couldn't do anything to persuade her from sending me the summons again for March. So, a couple of weeks ago, I got the second summons and had my pediatrician write a letter stating that I have a baby who is solely nursing at this point and cannot be away from me for more than three hours. The reply came back stating that I still had to report for duty and plea my case with the judge. SO, every night before bed, Bryce has been praying for mommy as she goes to "Judy Dudy!" When I told him on Sunday night that he was going to have to come with me, he got all nervous. He was afraid that they were going to put him in jail :) Anyways, I enlisted the help of my good friend, Jackie, to come and drive me and the three youngest kiddies downtown Kansas City. By the way, Jackie, thank you, thank you, thank you! I couldn't have done it without you....you are a gem! We got the kids up at the crack of dawn (the one morning that they were actually sleeping in!) and loaded them in Jackie's car. To make a very yucky experience short, I waited through all of their schmick-schmack and yackety-yack about my rights as a citizen and my privilege to serve on a jury. After a couple of hours, the time came for them to call all of the people that wanted to speak with the judge about being excused. I jumped up and was the first in line (holding Makayla asleep) :) I got up to the window and Yvonne (the same mean lady that I had talked to on the phone!) greeted me with a glare. She told me that since I had already been postponed once, that I had to wait to speak to the judge after the first round of selections. Whatever THAT means! Well, after I walked away, I had some more questions for that sweet lady because I kinda wanted a little time frame for my rambunctious kids who were laying on that nasty floor in the hallway -- ooo, yuck! So, I waited in the stinking long line of people and greeted Yvonne with a big smile and asked her what was going to happen next. She said in her oh-so-sweet way that I was to sit down and wait for her to call my name. I no longer had sat down and she called my name :) So, I went to the judge to plea my case. I explained to her about the nursing situation and that my husband is a teacher and not able to watch the kids for me. She said that she would give me ANOTHER 5 month postponement and that I had better get my baby eating some food by then! She also said that since it will be August then, that my teacher husband should be capable of watching our kids! OH I WAS SO MAD!!! I told her that it wasn't that I wouldn't have loved to be on a jury, I just simply can't do it at this stage in my life. She didn't really seem to care :) As we were walking out of the courthouse, I saw all of the local news channels waiting. I guess there was some big murder case that they were selecting the jury for and the news was waiting to cover the big event. I WOULD HAVE LOVED A MURDER CASE! After seeing all of those scary people in the jury selection room, I would have wanted ME to be on the jury if I was on trial. That really didn't make sense :) Anyways, I wanted to walk up to the NBC van and say, "HEY Dude! I've got a story for you!" Surely, I have some sort of rights as a breastfeeding mom, don't I?!? So, I get to go back and endure that same experience again in 5 months!!! YIPPEE!!! Please don't think I am being disrespectful to our government. I think it is a fine system and it really does work. It just seems like other people get out of JUDY DUDY for lame excuses, but I really did have a good excuse! Oh Well! Maybe next time I will get sequestered and sent to a hotel for a peaceful nights sleep :) Michael just read the mail and said that something came stating that I was to report for DUDY on August 18th. When I was in the office, I chose August 4th or 11th. Now, my teacher husband is going to be in in-service and won't be able to watch the kids. HA HA HA!!!! Now, I get to call sweet Yvonne and chat with her AGAIN tomorrow and Bryce gets to keep praying for Judy Dudy for the next 5 months!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
10 comments:
For those of you reading this post, I was one of the "lucky ones" who got "the call" from Danielle. Fortunately, I was working and told Danielle to call her mom as I was painting and she needed emotional support, not logical support from her father. Now I've heard Danielles abreviated frustration first hand, the second hand version from her mother and now I get to read it in print!!! I want to let ALL of you readers know the version in print is the most hilarious and SOOOO Danielle. I love you dear for many, many reasons. Among them, 1)Your ability to stand up for yourself, 2) Your committment to right a wrong, 3) Your ability to write in a hilarious manner. Keep up the good fight. Love ya, Dad
I also was very happy to receive a call from Danielle! I am glad that you were able to get out of it (sort of) for the day. I hope things have calmed down in your house by August (is there any chance of that happening?????) Love you guys, especially you, dear Judy :)
I too was "blessed" to receive a call from my dear sister!! While I laughed hearing her tell it on the phone, I laughed even more reading it!!:) I ditto dad, you have a gift at writing out your experiences that humors your readers!!! Of course, your daily life humors your readers! I love you!!:)
Ha! That is just too funny...I'm sure it was not at the time :) Can't wait to hear what Yvonne says today :)
If you're still nursing, you should get the La Leche League involved - they'd shake the jury system down for discrimination - seriously. Those women frighten me...and people bend to their wishes pretty easily!
I can't believe they were so rude to you! Ooh, and you missed a murder trial! I, too, am glad you stood up for yourself. Hopefully, Yvonne will have a change of ...personality!
That is aweful! In IL they are pretty undersatnding. I completely forgot to go last month, (pregnancy brain) and they rescheduled me, asked what would be a good date, and were perfectly willing to do so. Sounds like your court is just a bad one, or something. Seriously, though, they need to take consideration for poor little babies. Like, what would you do if you got on the jury? Starve your kid for three days? I think not!
I would have been livid too!
I will admit that I might have done something aboslutely mean like accidentally spilling my breast milk on her.
but hey that is just me.
So funny Danielle! Although I'm sure it wasn't funny when you were going through it! I really would have loved to have seen you on the news relating the story of your experiences with the judicial system. You go girl!
Danielle, you kill me! I would have been the exact same way. They really do not have any sympathy for families--I went through a similar (but much less traumatic) experience with jury duty and they could care less if you have kids.
And I just saw your post about haircuts. I am very proud of you. My husband will not allow me to touch his hair with a 10 ft. pole, one daughter has horrible cowlicks that I cannot get cut straight myself, and the other daughter will barely allow me to brush her hair....maybe I will have a chance with the son.....:-)
Dani, that story is so hilarious. I really think that you should write a humorous book about raising kids. You have such a way with words! Maybe in your spare time?! LOL
I enjoyed talking with you and definitely needed the chance to catch up.
Love ya lots!
Post a Comment