Friday, May 04, 2007

Potty Training - uggh!!!


Bryce will be turning three in two weeks, so I decided that it was about time for him to learn to use the "big boy" potty. I decided to start training him on Tuesday because I knew that this week didn't have much planned. Although I don't follow it exactly, I do like the methods of "potty training in a day" and it seemed to work well for the older two kiddos. I hate doing the "pull-up" thing because it drags it out forever. Well, Bryce quickly figured out what he was supposed to do, but wasn't too interested as soon as the presents were gone. To make a LONG week sound much shorter than it felt, Bryce made a huge leap in progress tonight. I was nearing frustration with the poor boy and expressed my dissapointment quite clearly when around 5:00 he pottied on the carpet for what seemed to be the hundredth time today. Shortly after, I went upstairs to wake Madyson up and I called down to him, "Bryce, do you need to go potty?" He replied, "No, I did." I assumed he meant that he pottied again on the carpet. He said, "No, I went in the potty!" Of course I ran downstairs and began the cheering and dance fest with him for FINALLY figuring out to get on the potty BEFORE it starts to come out :) Sorry about the graphic details! Then he did a bunch of errands with Michael and stayed dry the whole time.... maybe this exhausting week is paying off!


For a while, I thought that Madyson was more interested in the potty thing than Bryce was! BTW, those were a clean pair of underwear :)

10 comments:

sara said...

OH MY WORD- how funny! I can feel your pain....and how long that week probably felt! I am PRAYING that my girl will be easier than the boys!

The Beard Bunch said...

Alright, you have inspired me. I am off one week before we leave for vacation, so I am hoping Brooke will be able to do this (she is waaaaaay past due). She seems to relish the fact of being the baby! Next time you see Brooke, let's pray she is in her "big girl pants!"

2Icecubed said...

What a big boy, Bryce!! I knew you would do it! Way to go mommy for sticking it out! Such a YUCKY job!!! I like the new "hats" being worn at your house!!!:)

Stephanie said...

Good job mom! I am nearing that stage with Isaiah...Elijah did it for me pretty quickly (We got a potty book and read it and he really seemed taken by the whole concept. Plus, he did really well with the pull ups that have disappearing shapes when they get wet. We would count them and then check and see if he still had all his shapes. If he did we went praise crazy (and some candy too)
Speaking of potty on the floor - I went to get Isaiah out of bed this week and he was completely naked and pointing to his floor. Sure enough, he had pottied through his crib slats onto his floor! So, I feel your pain! :)

Jill said...

Oh, you poor thing! That is so exhausting, but it definitely pays off (literally...in the money saved on expensive pull-ups). Way to go! At least the kids got some enjoyment out of their new hats! :)

Anonymous said...

Way to go Danielle. Glad you decided to do it now so we don't have to contend with pullups when we babysit in June. Bryce...we LOVE the new hat, it is very becoming and TOTALLY fits your personality. Love, Nana & Papa

Anonymous said...

I'm so inspired by the day training! I'm going to have to try that here with Nate.. when the time is right. Currently we get the once in every 2 weeks he'll say something. He's not even two yet, but so hard to not compare him to the girls. Hannah was 21 mon when it all clicked and Caitlin was her 2nd birthday when she got "big girl" undies for her birthday! Amazing how they all train differently, another amazement on how God works! If we were all the same, how boring it would be and we'd have nothing to learn from each other! Thank you for sharing and congratulations!

Sarah said...

Do you want to come pottytrain mine next? She is already 3 and has no concept. We tried for an entire week with undies to no avail. :-( And now the new baby does not help the motivation process...! So perhaps you can come and work some magic. :-)

Kelly said...

Way to go Bryce!! I am going to attempt with Isaac this summer so wish me luck!

Coach C said...

PT conversations are terrible to listen to - unless you have personally been through the process. There just are not enough delicate euphemisms to suffice.