Monday, August 04, 2008

Our new addiction

One of our Kansas City friends, the Moores, introduced us to letterboxing right before we moved. Letterboxing is kind of like a treasure hunt. They are boxes that are hidden all over the world and you can go online to get places where they are and the clues to find them. You can go to www.atlasquest.com to find out more info. Anyways, we went on our first adventure on Saturday but after much searching and digging, we couldn't find the box. The kids complained the entire time because they were thirsty and it was 101 degrees :) So, I decided that I better pick an easy hunt for our next one so they wouldn't give up totally on the idea. The kids get stir crazy during the day when Michael is working, so I decided that we should venture out and go on a hunt today. This one was located outside of an ice cream store, so I thought they would be a little more motivated to hunt if they knew they were getting ice cream when they were finished. I guess we looked a little suspicious walking around the outside premises of the ice cream store, so the owner came out to ask us what we were doing. I tried to explain the whole letterboxing idea and promised that we were coming in to get ice cream when we were finished. Well, we were successful!!! It was so cool to find the box hidden in the bushes and we were the first ones to find it. We logged into the journal and the box planter had left a little trinket for the first person who found the box. The kids (and myself, I might add) were SO excited. We took the box in to show the store owner and he was pretty impressed :) After placing the box back in the hidden location, the kids got to enjoy some yummy ice cream. They couldn't wait to come home and go up to Michael's office to show him the pictures and the little trinket left for us. Now they are asking if we can go look for another letterbox tonight....I've created monsters :)

The starting point of our hunt


The letterbox


Looking inside for the stamp, journal, and our special trinket


The ice cream store where it was hidden behind


They enjoyed their ice cream as much as their hunt for the letterbox



Bryant hid the box back in the secret location for the next letterboxers to find :)

9 comments:

Forever For Evie said...

That looks like alot of fun! Mike and I have talked about trying it sometime. Thank you for the comment. I just have to say that every time I think of having a 5th kid, I always think of you guys and your gorgeous kids, and it gives me all kinds of inspiration! So, thank you!!! :)

2Icecubed said...

Ok, you have me very curious about it now. I just have to convince Scott that it will be fun!! I also have to know what the special treat is that was in the box???????

sara said...

I have heard of this, but thought it sounded so complicated. Now I will have to try it with the kids! Sounds like a Great idea!!!!

Jill said...

My cousins do this - they've even gone to Colorado and on trips just to find boxes! Sounds like a fun thing for the kids - when it's not 101 degrees out, that is!

The Beard Bunch said...

Well, that would be something new that I learned today :) I looked up Ventura, and their were 42 nearby boxes. WOW! That would be an interesting scavenger hunt. Glad that the kids had fun with it (and the ice cream).

SturgillMom said...

2icecubed....the special trinket was just a tiny little class frog. Nothing too exciting, but the kids were so excited and carried it around all day until one of the legs fell off :)

Ann-Marie said...

Yummy! Nothing like ice cream on a hot day! In GS, we do letterboxing activities for the girls all the time, so it was cool to see that your family found a new activity! (It's SO fun, isn't it?!)

Unknown said...

That definitely sounds like something fun to do with my boys. When you had the post new addition I thought maybe you got a dog. Then I got to thinking, "Where would you fit that dog?" Call me sometime!

Kelly said...

Dani, that last comment was me. My nephew was using our computer so it must be how it happened. Anway, hope all is well!