Saturday, February 03, 2007

"Happy Birthday to You!"


Photo Sharing - Upload Video - Video Sharing - Share Photos


I can't believe that my little boy is SEVEN! That is old! We sure had a fun day together. He helped me blow up balloons and make his birthday cupcakes this morning. Did you notice the blue and white decorations, my IN friends and family?!?! I told Bryant that we were going to leave his birthday decorations up until Monday morning :) Bryant's good friend, Brett Campbell, came over to spend the night tonight and boy were they excited. We haven't heard or seen much of them because they are tucked away in Bryant's room playing video games. I will never understand the male gender and their need for competition!

I woke up this morning at 4:00 and remembered seven years ago being 2 weeks overdue and laying in a hotel bed wondering if I was FINALLY in labor. We were at a teacher's convention here in town and I had joked before going to bed that it would be just our luck that I would go into labor at the hotel. Well, surprise surprise! When I was sure that I was in labor, I just called down to my sister's room and asked her if she wanted to ride to the hospital with us. She obviously thought that I was joking. We left for the hospital at 7:30 and four hours later, I was holding my sweet little baby boy (well, he was 9 lbs, so I guess he wasn't little) who had so much black hair I couldn't believe that he was mine. I have very easy labors -- well, obviously except for the pain. He came so fast that I had a fourth degree tear and two hours of stitches...not fun! BUT, he was worth it all! Oh, how our lives changed from that day on. Three weeks later we found out that he had colic...again, not fun! Those were some long days and nights and the only thing that would soothe him was the sound of the vacuum cleaner. Well, I didn't mean to go on and on about this. I guess that, for a mom, birthdays bring back so many wonderful memories. Happy birthday, my sweet boy!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Danielle, I didn't know you had this site. I have been looking through everything I have missed. I have had some good laughs! Thanks for taking the time to update it. Have a great evening! I miss you! Love, Angie Samms

Stephanie said...

Hey
It sounds like our first labors were very similar - nine pound baby boys, (tears and long time stitches) but aren't they worth it!
Your little guy is an adorable mix of you and Michael. I got a real kick out of your story.

sara said...

That was sweet..it is fun to remember the original birth day. That was funny about the vacuum cleaner- but I bet it wasn't funny at the right?!

Sarah said...

OK, Danielle--I have been doing pretty good this pregnancy, not thinking about what labor is like, etc. Thanks for the reminder of stitches and tearing! That was the only part of my labors that was really bad....now I am scared for the next 7 weeks to go by! :-)

By the way, I love the pictures of Bryant's party. Elise saw them and said, "Hey I know THOSE boys! They like me." :-)

Jill said...

Danielle, thanks for writing your memories of seven years ago when Bryant was born. I had forgotten that you were two weeks overdue...and I think I never knew the part about the hotel...and the stitches! Ouch! It was fun to see the pictures and video. Noah was watching the video with me and he said "I wanted to see him blow out the candle!" when it was over. :) Bryant looks like such a sweetie! Happy birthday to him!

2Icecubed said...

Oh, I remember that day!! You are right that I thought the call was a joke!! What a neat thing to be able to share with you. I miss being there for those kinds of things now.:( Hard to believe seven years have passed. Happy birthday, buddy! Love you!

Mommy said...

Last year I wrote a really long letter to my youngest on his first birthday - all about his first year. The remembering was so much fun.

Our kids will really enjoy going back and looking at our blog postings some day.

sfullerton said...

Hey Sturgill Family,

This is Sean Fullerton and I was just dropping a note to say hello. Your family looks great, but you guys can't be old enough to have kids that age. Just wanted to check back in if you'd like have Mike e-mail me at sfullerton@westwoodchristian.org

Sean Fullerton