
I am not sure if I ever mentioned it on here, but Madyson (13 mos.) had to have surgery this morning to have tubes put in her ears. She has had 9 ear infections and 6 of them since September. Needless to say, I was very anxious about having my baby in surgery. Even though it is a short procedure, it is still surgery and I always worry about complications. She actually did great. The doctor is definitely not someone that I would recommend because he doesn't have good bedside manner, but we have heard that he is an excellent surgeon...I guess that is the important thing. Anyways, we had to be at the hospital at 6:15 this morning and Madyson wasn't too excited about being up so stinkin early. She warmed up quickly to the nurses and even let the anesthesiologist carry her back to the OR without even crying. Now, I, on the other hand, can't say that I made it through the morning without crying :) It is so hard to say goodbye. Anyways, she came through surgery great and was happy and goofy all day. You would never know that she had surgery this morning. Hopefully, this will do the trick and she won't have any more ear infections. My parents are here on their way back home from Myrtle Beach, so they were here to stay with our other kiddos this morning. That was a huge blessing.
9 comments:
Danielle, So glad Madyson did well. We just had Brynn in to the Ear, nose, throat Dr. He said that we could go either way with tubes. She has been on antibiotics since December. 8 ear infections since September. He said that because of her age, he wouldn't mind waiting til spring to see if she gets over it. What do you think. Unlike your Dr., this guy is great with the kids and parents. Would love to hear your side. We still have not yet decided what to do. Amy
Hey Amy, I am so glad that you like your Dr. I was really questioning if this was necessary for a 1 yr old, but my pediatrician really convinced me to do it. He said that every time she has an ear infection, which was most of the time, she is only hearing at 40% because of all of the fluid on the ear. He said that right now is such a critical time of learning language for her, now up through 18 mos. He said that she would probably have to have speech therapy if we didn't do the tubes and if she continued to have so many ear infections. Well, needless to say, I was convinced. I didn't want to have to go through speech therapy. Our ENT was not nice at all and he kept saying to me, "She has had a very poor quality of life this first year!" Obviously, I started to cry because as a mom, that is a huge part of our existence... keeping our kiddos happy and healthy. Well, I have rambled enough! It really was a quick procedure- but costly :)
Hey
I'm glad everything went okay. I bet that was scary. How great that you had your parents with you - that certainly helps me feel better when my kids are going through something! If my kids get very sick, I am immediately calling my mom!
I'm glad that things went so well for Madyson! I hate having to make those kind of decisions as a parent - it really was much easier being the child and having someone just tell me "This is what you're going to do!!" :) Sounds like the tubes will be very beneficial for her. Keep us up to date on how she's doing! Hi to Nana and Papa!
I'm so glad that everything went well with the surgery!!! You both were in our prayers yesterday!!
So glad things are all done now for Madyson. Hopefully she will have a very healthy springtime because of it!! I just want to grab her and kiss her when I see all those cute pictures of her! I love that one with dad! Have fun together~wish I was there too! Love you!
I am so glad things went well with her. We have walked that road with #1. He had 18 double ear infections in 18 months. We did the tubes, but we waited too long. He has some permanent hearing loss and went through 2 1/2 years of speech therapy. Good move to do it earlier with Madyson. We were amazed at the changes and how quickly he was affected.
So glad all went well.
Tancy
ps.. I cried too. I had hardly finished when they told us they were done. LOL
I am glad to hear that Madyson did so well for you. I am sure you had a harder time than her. I felt so bad that your ENT made you cry. It sounds like he needs some help in his communication skills! I loved the picture of your dad and her. She is such a doll!!
Thanks for the recipe! I am looking forward to trying it.
Glad to hear everything went well. Sorry your ENT didn't have great bedside manner. As an RN, I know way too many of those kind, but there are a lot of very sweet MD's out there, too.
Post a Comment