Sunday, January 28, 2007

Happy 60th Birthday, Dad!


My dad's 60th birthday was this past Friday and my mom was having a small surprise party for him. My sister, Michelle, and I REALLY wanted to be there to celebrate with him. Our SWEET husbands agreed to babysit all of the kids and allow us each to go home by ourselves! This was the first time in 7 years that I have been away for two nights with NO kids. My sister and I both flew to MN Friday night and our aunt drove us to the restaraunt. The Lord worked the timing of our flights out just perfectly and our dad was very surprised to see us. We had such a fun weekend with them. It truly felt like the old days when we weren't married and had no kids. The house was SO quiet and we didn't have a bunch of coats and bags to get ready to just walk out the door. It felt SO strange - but nice. We were also able to go to a tea with our mom on Saturday. She always goes with four of her friends to a teahouse in January and they so graciously let us join in on the fun. It was so fun to see those ladies again -- Jill, your mom is still as sweet as ever! I brought my old camera so the pictures are not very good, but you can get the idea. As I was flying home today, I was thinking of my wonderful husband and sweet kiddos that were waiting for me. I loved every minute of our weekend home and I will truly cherish the memories forever. But I realized that I am a wife and mom now...that is who I am and I wouldn't change it for nothing. Although this weekend was a blast and I think time away is necessary, I LOVED coming back to hug on my kids and be needed again.

10 comments:

The Beard Bunch said...

I am glad that you were able to go! I also appreciate your perspective. It is nice to get away, but it is even nicer to get back home. Give those kids a hug from their Aunt Michelle, too. P.S. How do you do the slide show thing????

Stephanie said...

Hey
So glad you got a mini get away. I agree - it helps you be refreshed and love on your kids all the more.
Your dad's party looked fun too.
Glad you are home safe!

sarah said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Jill said...

I have so many thought going through my mind right now! First, it is SO great that you got to go home for your Dad's 60th birthday. And then, to be able to surprise him - that's priceless! It must've been so neat to see your parent's friends too. I miss that! Thank you so much for posting these pictures. It was so great to see your parents and Andrea, and the other ladies. Happy birthday, Gary!

Did you go to WBC on Sunday?

SturgillMom said...

Yes, Jill, we did go to WBC on Sunday and we sure got the double takes. People looked at us so funny because we were just there for Christmas and we were back with no kids. My dad sure got a bunch of teasing :)

Sarah said...

How great for you to have a little "vacation"....I think all moms need a get-away once a year--it gives you a fresh perspective on your family.
And I'm sure your dad was thrilled to have you there! Surprises are so fun. :-)

Jill said...

I was just re-reading your post, and saw your nice comment about my mom. Thanks! We think she's pretty sweet too! I heard your mom might catch a ride with my mom to IN in Feb. Why don't you come up and we can have a fun girls' weekend???

SturgillMom said...

Oh my word, wouldn't that be fun?!?! I'll have to wait a little to throw that one at Michael...I'll have to give him a breather first :)

Anonymous said...

Where are the 60 candles?? I love the picture of those triplets! Glad you had a great time. Mom S.

2Icecubed said...

It was a wonderful time, but I must agree with you that it is always wonderful to get back home. Especially when greeted with all those hugs and kisses. Emilee kept kissing my cheek and chin with her really wet open mouth kisses! Loved it!! Miss you already! It was so fun to catch up!